9.30.2021

In today's class, we were introduced to a new topic, International Relations which is a study of how countries operation the world relating to other countries. When I heard that we will be going deeper I was excited because this was a field that I was interested in but wasn't knowledgeable about yet. I studied about the United Nations a while back as part of test preparation, and I knew that there were different ways to negotiate between countries, such as having a third mediator come in, or taking it to the court. However, it didn't go deeper into the theories and how the backgrounds of those countries affect each other's relations. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to learning more.

The main focus of today was experiencing the prisoner's dilemma. Here, we were asked to make a decision based on 2 hypothetical situations. One was where we could either choose to all cooperate on a task and get one grade higher, not cooperate and get one grade lower, have a tie and have no grade boost,  or have one not cooperate and get a 5 point boost while the rest gets detracted by one point. Another situation was with exact benefits except in a labor setting where the one that doesn't cooperate can become a boss. In both settings did I choose to cooperate, because I wanted to look at things in a long-term effect. For example, for the first situation, even if someone had not cooperated, we can prevent us from working with that person in the future, or I could have used this pattern to my advantage and block that person by not cooperating during the next assignment. Nevertheless, I believed that it was better to keep low in the beginning than to make enemies in exchange for temporary benefit. The same goes for the other situation because although betraying is logically a good decision,  if this is put into the context of reality, I would be hesitant to make a name for myself. I feel like people were able to decide to betray the rest this time because we all knew that this wouldn't be jeopardizing anyone's feelings. I wonder what would happen if this was true.

From this, we discussed ways we could predict the actions of other parties. We thought about looking at the level that whatever advantage would benefit them because in our group, the person that didn't cooperate reasoned that this would be helpful as it is hard to complete Mr. Paterson's assignment. However, those who had cooperated knew that even if they were to lose a point, they could still manage with that. For those reasons, fully understanding the members' wishes beforehand would have prevented this from happening. However, the next question would be, how to know what the parties want without having to ask them forwardly. This, I want to think about during the next class, where I hope Mr. Paterson would talk about how to deal with the prisoner's dilemma. 


Notes:

 I will cooperate because if I do betray my members, I know they will get payback in other areas such as excluding information.  Moreover, as long as I work hard enough and get an 8, I can get a 7 at least even if I am betrayed, and that is enough for my standards.

I'll cooperate, but not coincide with the boss's decisions, because being fired and moving on is much better than having to listen to a betrayer's decisions. But, seeing as last time someone betrayed, I bet someone else would want to betray as well, and I was aiming for a two-way tie. 

Whether the decision affects other countries


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6.23.2020

3.3.2022 - Thank you for the 3 years!!!! (2019~2022)

1.20.2022