3.3.2022 - Thank you for the 3 years!!!! (2019~2022)

 Today's topic was the ongoing invasion of Ukraine by Russia. When we were first asked to talk with our groups on this topic, I was excited because I had watched a video about this last week. From what I recall, this video on the crisis was more pro-Ukraine, so I was able to gain a neutral view by listening to Paterson's explanation on how this war is understandable. The video I watched discussed how the ways Russia is reasoning the war is unacceptable. A statement Russia has been saying is about how Ukraine belongs to Russia. This is true, saying that Ukraine was a part of the Soviet Union, and how Crimea is culturally Russia's. However, it also coined how during Stalin's governing of the Soviet Union, millions of Ukrainians died in a deliberate famine caused by Stalin himself. This was to replace the small farms with their state farms. So even if a big portion of the Ukrainian population has Russian roots and can speak Russian fluently, we have to consider that there is a historical past of Ukrainians being eradicated. Another point that the video made was about the public versus the former Ukrainian president Viktor Yanukovych, and the 2014 Ukrainian Revolution. The Ukrainian Revolution was a series of protests regarding the scuttling of the EU association agreement. In here, the former president was heavily on the side of Russia, and dispensed the EU deal for a deal with Russia for 15 billion dollars and a decrease in gas prices. Some have called this a cheap bailout, but the outrage that the Ukrainian civilians showed subsequent to this decision shows how much the Ukrainian people want to be independent. And I think that this war has also shown that as well. I agree that Russia has some legitimacy though after hearing Mr. Paterson's explanation from the history on how the Ukrainians joined the Nazis until Crimeas handover to Ukraine. From hearing these two sides, I felt that I don't have a side to be on. But I am a firm believer in peace, and having susceptible civilians suffer and be sacrificed from an intangible problem is just not right. I am not criticizing Russia because they have different views than Ukraine. I am criticizing the method they've chosen to convey that message. They say that "this is the only option left", but really, do we really need to kill a life to justify our past?? I hope that this war will end and that it will end peacefully, unlike this English class.

The past 3 years have been an amazing experience. I got to experience my first legitimate collaboration work with my peers, present professional presentations, create engaging videos, and conduct primary research. Outside of school, I was able to present with Mr. Paterson, engage with students across my grade, and write professional papers. One of my favorite moments is when I got to create a video with my friends. Although we did not win anything, the whole process of developing an idea, shooting in numerous locations, editing, and creating/mixing music, was a tremendously memorable experience. I was able to utilize all of the skills I have garnered during Mr. Paterson's class. Writing skills implemented in the script, video producing skills for improving the cinematography, oral presentation skills in acting the parts out, etc... My time here can never be recreated, and the learning here will be useful in the long run. 

Finally, I would like to reflect on a quote that I discussed during my second blog that I wrote in 2019. 

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

From the experiences here, I will continue to utilize the knowledge to break boundaries, take challenges, and be unconventional. 

Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5.7.2019

9.3.2020