5.13.2019

My relationship with organizing a computer can be traced back to 1st Grade when I first touched a Macintosh computer. I remember being forced by my parents, to use safari, in which now that I look back, I feel the need to tell my 6-year-old self to use google chrome, but since I was living in the countryside, there were limited resources, in which I could fully use the web browser.  Through my experience using Safari, I learned to use the bookmark function to keep up with websites that cover news topics, and other information that I may need constantly, and I was able to use it effectively. This is why, like blogger, I felt doubt towards working with Feedly, because I had a habit of using the tools that my surrounding teachers have taught me, but it turned out that I liked how unlike safari bookmarks, Feedly can keep you notified with new posts through a simple feed, and an app for it, so you could organize your pile of news apps into one.  I felt as if it was almost too good to be true.

This may sound cheesy, but we are definitely living in a society in which our lives are dependent on digitalization. This means that there is a rise in competition for digital tools. When Mr. Paterson talked about how Feedly started charging a search function starting from this year, I felt the reason being from this uprising change. I understand that creating a company is difficult, and is absolutely hard when creating one in this generation. Huge companies, such as Facebook, Apple, and Youtube have started when the internet wasn't that developed compared to the state of today's. Take Apple as an example. Apple didn’t start with selling iPhones nor laptops.  Instead, they started with offering iTunes services for free, and after they got famous, they started charging little by little in which it succeeded. If Apple hasn’t charged iTunes, they may have not created the products that changed the smartphone industry. I think Feedly is also following a similar plan, which shows how more and more companies are charging their services.

When I first heard about Feedly being charged, I felt unlucky that it implemented the pro feature this year, but the more I think about it, the more I have accepted this change. There are some tools which charge obnoxious sums of money to the point of exploitation, but I overall think that it is important to do something that users may not like. Music generator app GarageBand can be used on iPhones through the mobile version. Though it was free, it eventually charged the app, in which there were app reviews about how they were charging too much. However, GarageBand has been a free app for more than it became a charged app, which shows how there is a strong relationship between world competition and money. The more money a company makes, the more they can improve on their services, but while avoiding damage to their image.

Overall, Feedly is a very useful tool, and I am glad I was introduced to it. Now, I could organize sites that I often visit, which will make me feel decluttered. I have learned from this class, that charged services are charged for a reason.  I agree that from a user's point of view, that there is a barrier when it comes to adding a payment option. Although, I also think that people like me, who skepticize the idea of adding a money feature in a service that was free in the past, should accept these new tools because they have accomplished so much in a time where anyone can create an app.

Comments