5.14.2019
We were introduced to our research topic today, where Mr. Paterson lectured about the underdevelopment of classrooms in Japan. With examples such as the acceleration of media usage and media usability, it is safe to say that Japan is behind when implementing new hardware. Instead, typical Japanese classrooms consist of taking the same test, sitting with rows of the same looking desks, and following a bland routine of nonstop studying. "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." This quote is said by famous mathematician Albert Einstein, which explains the education system, especially in Japan.
Japanese students sit it nice rows and are pressured to succeed and compete to the top. A typical day would be to study for 5~7 subjects a day, with the teacher asking students for their task. Some students can study better from what the teacher says, but others may not fully understand from reading textbooks or the writing on the chalkboard, yet we are given tests based on what the teacher assigns them. They are all given a rating of 100, and schools assess ones with top level grades. This means that if a student excels in Math, but is the worst in Japanese, it would try to improve on the subject that is affecting his score (Japanese), therefore not focusing on his Math. This may lead to the student to improve his/her Japanese, but get an average on Maths, which equalized his gift and lowered his/her self esteem. This also means that school is just a competition, in which students memorize solely to earn good grades, then forget everything once they graduate.
This is exactly what Albert Einstein says since forcing a fish that has great skill in swimming underwater, to climb a tree will ruin an opportunity to improve on the fish's best gift. The school that the animals go to (the fish as well) have tests that are for swimming and climbing, in which they are unable to graduate without a prescribed score, which is forcing the fish to improve on climbing. Otherwise, it can't graduate. This shows how schools are nitpicking on what they are most weak at and are trying to push it to the same level as their gift. Education is equalizing students and is creating a game like experience.
There is the technology that could fix this problem, with moveable chairs and creating a comfortable environment for the teacher, but this can only be accomplished with money. Private schools earn their income from student admission fees, enrollment fees, and festival hostings, so they are able to afford computers and equipment to create an innovative classroom. In the first post, I said that there are schools that are underdeveloped so it would be hard for every student to adopt a modern classroom.
However, we could change the level of what the school is pressuring students to achieve. In my last school, we didn't have homework during summer break, so I was able to do what I liked the most. I used to read constantly which benefitted me when I took the test to admission here. However, because I have subjects that I'm worried about, I don't have time to read books. In addition, having multiple subjects in one day means that you have to review all of them which will take up a lot of our time. If we simplify the time schedule and increase break time, students can improve on what they are passionate about. There are also tools for learning. Mathletics is a useful tool to learn math without using a textbook and is aimed towards younger elementary schoolers. I graduated my elementary school by learning Math from there. Khan Academy is also really useful when learning almost everything you will learn at school. Thought it is taught in English, it supplies a lot of information and is free. When I didn't understand a topic during class, I would revise using that. We say that school is helping students, but in reality, there are free tools out there where you could learn the same subjects but with using a computer.
There are Japanese schools though that has amazing teachers and technology. Besides, Albert Einstein's quote was back in the 20th century. Some schools have improved on their curriculum, but most of them haven't changed. I think Japanese schools are still pressuring students to be the best in every subject. Schools need opinions from us students to create an environment where the fish can become the fastest swimmer in the entire ocean.
Comments
Post a Comment