5.20.2019

In this class, we learned about Japan's condition when it comes to the use of technology, in which I felt surprised by how low it ranked. I knew that Japan was falling behind in their knowledge towards utilizing computer services but not to the point of being in the last place. Compared to other developed countries, the country incorporates 9.9% of their class time on technology, which shows how we are clinging past methods of pen and paper. In Sweden, since technology is dominant there, shops are beginning to ban cash, and encourage cashless payments instead. The role of a bank there are being redefined as a support center for the elderly who are more likely to not understand how the cashless system works. This may not directly indicate Japan's problem, but shows the effects of change in a country. Sweden had crowned as the "Best Country" by a report written by the "U.S News & World's Report", and the 2018 GII results show that it placed 3rd as the most innovative country. In addition, it ranks 2nd in the best country to raise children in. This shows how development and trend are important to prepare the next generation.

When I was introduced to our theme, I immediately thought of improving the actual technology. Whether it be purchasing mac laptops or adding more screen projectors, by developing computers, this school would be contributing to the trend. Through the walking meeting though, I was able to notice issues from different perspectives. For example, by acting as a spectator to this school, I became aware of how unspacious the classroom is. Since as a student, have experienced studying in a classroom this size, I have gotten used to it. In other countries, there is furniture designed to resolve this issue by designing it to be multifunctional. From this, I realized that contemplating in front of a screen is limiting the number of ideas, and that engagement with the actual environment further helps us approach the problem from different angles. Also, since walking around helps visualize the scene, ideas would be comprehensive, therefore easier to understand and share with teams. Utilizing this method during the team project will help gain insights towards Japan's classroom culture by comparing the state with other countries.

Some problems that I’ve encountered were the lack of effort towards classroom design. All classrooms are structured the same, and each is filled to the brim with tables and chairs. Although some, such as the science rooms are not fit for implementing new furniture since it may become a hazard, there should be uniqueness in each classroom. If every room looked the same, students may feel like their taking classes in the same room even if they've moved during periods. Also, there isn't enough space to relax which is restricting the amount of social interaction during lunch breaks. We have to drag chairs around to sit with friends during lunch, and these subtle movements are wasting precious time to rest. If chairs can freely move around, we can create a cafeteria like experience where students can sit in any formation. A change in classroom design will encourage students to attend school, and can help them become more social.  We haven’t worked with our groups yet, but I would like to share my thoughts on it tomorrow.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6.23.2020

3.3.2022 - Thank you for the 3 years!!!! (2019~2022)

1.20.2022