5.27.2019

In this class, we learned about the importance and technique of creating visual presentations. Through the presentation about tigers, I was able to understand the impact of the audience's attention, just by perfecting the font style to the presentation context. In fact, since presentations support the speaker's ideas by providing imagery, I felt that designing a barrier-free slide should be prioritized. Even if it turns out aesthetically pleasing if the font was illegible, people will struggle with understanding the main points, and especially in those who are dyslexic. Though I had speculated that underlining words would be difficult to read, I was surprised that the tails on the alphabet would also give the same effect. I used to title my presentations with that typewriter font because it looked pretty, but this shows how being fashionable isn't all that is in encouraging students to listen. Moreover, a simple title utilizing figures of speech would help grab the viewers awareness towards what you are pitching, and I've learned that through listening to the hundreds of presentations during my previous years. I’ve also learned the significance of placement, and that main ideas can be shown indirectly. For example, like what Mr.Paterson explained, that the background can be correlated with numbers, as well as the alignment of the words to create an image that matches the slide. Before this, I thought that it would be easier for the audience if I paste a giant high quality picture as one slide and explain about it. From now on though, I would like to utilize blank space since that would give the audience a place to rest, and it would be practical as well.

Japanese history and tradition is viewed as something beautiful and minimalistic, that is eye-catching for tourists. I think Japanese tradition influenced the notion of simple and cleaner is better, since traditional castles can be seen structured melodically, with eccentric details that defines our culture. Apple’s designs were influenced by Japanese zen which shows the beauty in creating nothing ; blank space. Yet today, when we see presentations from Japanese business men and women, they are filled with bullet points. I too have spoken with a script like google slides before, in which I’ve wondered how we’ve came from being silent, to noise. I think that the reason why we use bullet points are because that’s how we were taught, not only IT related, but through non computer related subjects as well. Sometimes teachers present in PowerPoint, and when they use bullet points, it is showing the audience how bullet points are acceptable, and therefore using them. We may want to teach teachers the rightful and more simplistic methods when creating slides. We see bullets in other forms as well, and especially from the chalkboard. The role of a chalkboard can be similar to that of a presentation, which means that the style of endless writing and bullet pointing on chalkboards may also impact the perspective of adding sentences as a visual. Not only should we teach slide design, but also adopt those techniques into paper.

We started off copying and getting help with culture from China. We were taught the morals and knowledge that can help Japan as a country grow, and we did. Japan’s industrial revolution skyrocketed our economic growth. I can say that we have contributed partly to world history. However, our status today feels like it’s degrading. I think it can be depicted from slide design. Our sense of aesthetics has changed, and now we’re being introduced to zen like designs from other countries. It’s like a cycle, which meant s that maybe, we can improve current designs. In that way, I would like to implement these ideas, and perhaps create my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6.23.2020

3.3.2022 - Thank you for the 3 years!!!! (2019~2022)

1.20.2022