6.24.2019

It was presentation day today, in which we were randomly selected to present by Mr. Paterson. We weren't called for the first few times, but because of technical difficulties, we certainly had to give our pitch. We were glad that we had pasted the presentation link on the master document, so we were able to start things off smoothly. However, since we didn't have time to practice, we were really hoping our improvisation skills can be our backups. We chose the order of the speakers pretty early on, so there wasn't any problem with the order of the presenters, but we weren't able to transition as smoothly as we wanted to, so that was a problem that was criticized by Mr. Paterson. Overall, our presentation didn't work out as what we planned, since we lacked time and practice.

For my part, I was thinking of creating a script, so that I can address my points clearly, and also for me to memorize quicker. Since I was assigned to talk about the ideas to solve the locker problem, I had to make sure the audience understood our message, so I was concerned about improvising it on the day. By writing a script, I can practice without worrying about messing up every time. That can save time from reciting the information so that I could focus on other tasks.  However, Mr. Paterson's critiques are on our body language and how we connect with the audience, so I thought that the script would distract me from following the rubric.  I decided to improvise my part, so I started rehearsing it a couple days before the presentation day because improvisation doesn't need memory. At first, I was unsure about my skills to be able to speak without having to stop and think, but as I repeated the process, I got the hang of it. The only time I did memorize was during practice when I said a line that I really like, and because of this, I felt calm when it came to my section of the group presentation. From this, I've learned that repetition is key to achieving a successful speech in all methods, where it be memorizing a script, or training the ability to generate sentences on the spot.

Something that I think worked according to plan was showcasing the videos. We worked hard as a collaborative team, to film and edit the video that revisualized the school's locker problems. Although we had a laugh, watching ourselves on video and acting the scenes out, we were a bit doubtful towards the effect of this video. The whole purpose was to raise the dopamine levels of the audience by enjoying the video and naturally encouraging the audience to memorize our main problems. It would've been awkward if nobody laughed at our work. Fortunately, our classmates savored over it, in which I think was a success, despite the fact that everything else wasn't reaching the expectations.

I don't recall students from upper grades that have told me that Mr. Paterson is strict and since there was no teacher that watches carefully over the grades as much as Mr. Paterson did today, I didn't expect him to be this detailed. From now on, I would want to try harder to complete and polish my final project, while also offering equal duties to my teammates.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5.7.2019

3.3.2022 - Thank you for the 3 years!!!! (2019~2022)

9.3.2020