10.8.2019
We continued by listening to presentations from other groups. I saw how the presentation layout changed in some presentations so that there was high contrast and coordination which was an aspect that Mr. Paterson pointed out. By seeing other teams implement legible designs, I was able to understand the effects of doing so. We also reflected back on our video of our presentation, and I recognized my mistakes and improvements that don't look professional. Being in the audience's shoes, and thinking like a listener, it was helpful for me to reflect on concepts that can be beneficial. Also, Mr. Paterson taught us about preparing yourself from stagefright, which I thought was an important issue since sometimes, people can blank out due to the pressure of presenting in front of people who are ready to judge you.
When I watched the videos back, I was able to point out some mistakes I made. One that irritated me the most was the use of filler words. During the actual presentation, I was too focused on speaking with the flow, so I didn't notice how I spoke these filler words which I recognized once I rewatched myself presenting. As Mr. Paterson said, filler words can portray an image of you being unprepared and therefore can't speak as fluent. With that in mind, I felt the need to increase practice time, especially in the speech. As for walking and talking at the same time, I think that I did okay when thinking about how I didn't practice a lot. However, I noticed that I look at the whiteboard at some time, which as a listener, looked unprofessional. By turning your back towards the audience, it is a sign of carelessness towards addressing the message to the listeners, which downgrades the image of yourself, as well as the presentation itself. Overall, I was able to self-critique myself through being recorded.
A lesson that I learned through this class was about pressure and the emotional effect on presenting in front of a class. Even though you've prepared for a long time, the nervousness of presenting after a group, and the thought that your one chance at your presentation would be graded may pressure you to forget about anything you've practiced. I related when Mr. Paterson talked to the class about having a breakdown. Even if I created a script to memorize, or even when I didn't create a script, I can blank out on both occasions depending on how I feel. When I am in these situations, I always try to calm my heart rate down by either reassuring myself, or when there is someone I know in the audience, I would try to look at them, without making it awkward. I think that when you notice someone with signs of feeling pressured, people should intervene since fainting is something that no one wants. Through this class, I learned the importance of standing in an opposite perspective, as well as the prominence of prioritizing your health sometimes.
When I watched the videos back, I was able to point out some mistakes I made. One that irritated me the most was the use of filler words. During the actual presentation, I was too focused on speaking with the flow, so I didn't notice how I spoke these filler words which I recognized once I rewatched myself presenting. As Mr. Paterson said, filler words can portray an image of you being unprepared and therefore can't speak as fluent. With that in mind, I felt the need to increase practice time, especially in the speech. As for walking and talking at the same time, I think that I did okay when thinking about how I didn't practice a lot. However, I noticed that I look at the whiteboard at some time, which as a listener, looked unprofessional. By turning your back towards the audience, it is a sign of carelessness towards addressing the message to the listeners, which downgrades the image of yourself, as well as the presentation itself. Overall, I was able to self-critique myself through being recorded.
A lesson that I learned through this class was about pressure and the emotional effect on presenting in front of a class. Even though you've prepared for a long time, the nervousness of presenting after a group, and the thought that your one chance at your presentation would be graded may pressure you to forget about anything you've practiced. I related when Mr. Paterson talked to the class about having a breakdown. Even if I created a script to memorize, or even when I didn't create a script, I can blank out on both occasions depending on how I feel. When I am in these situations, I always try to calm my heart rate down by either reassuring myself, or when there is someone I know in the audience, I would try to look at them, without making it awkward. I think that when you notice someone with signs of feeling pressured, people should intervene since fainting is something that no one wants. Through this class, I learned the importance of standing in an opposite perspective, as well as the prominence of prioritizing your health sometimes.
Comments
Post a Comment