10.29.2019

Today, we were given overall feedback from Mr. Paterson, and were given time to reflect on our presentations and slides, as well as improve our information, rather than the presenting itself. For the overall feedback, Mr. Paterson talked mainly about our speech and the use of space. When people give speeches, we tend to worry more about whether we are using the right words and grammar because otherwise, the audience wouldn't understand. However, Mr. Paterson told us that although sustaining a level of vocabulary is necessary throughout a presentation, it is the filler words that are most important, since they convey a message about the presenter's confidence, and therefore may ruin the readiness of the presentation. For example, saying um's can portray an image of unpreparedness since it means that you hadn't thought ahead, and therefore didn't take enough time to practice it. During my presentation that I saw in the video, I noticed that I did say filler words, meaning that I need to practice longer than before. Some people can speak without practicing too much, so I would like to adjust my practice time and find the perfect range that can help with the memorization.

Another feedback that Mr. Paterson pointed out was about improving on our movement. Walking throughout the presentation was an aspect that most people improved from their first presentation.  However, to further unleash the effect of walking during a presentation by mapping out the room. Mr. Paterson told us that creating a space that is relative to the information that you are trying to convey can indirectly connect the audience with your speech. An example that Mr. Paterson utilized in today's class was creating a world map inside the classroom when talking about trips that you've recently gone.  By connecting your experience and recreating on the scene of the presentation can help develop your world, and therefore can leave a powerful impact. I want to implement these techniques by understanding the part that I'm going to speak and then try to connect it with the classroom that I would be presenting in on an actual day.

Overall, I was able to understand what I need to improve, not only from a personal perspective but from an aspect that was common in other people's presentations. By being able to include both ideas and problems, I want to improve my overall presenting skills that can be utilized for further projects. We were told that from the next class, we would be focusing on the writing, meaning that I want to reflect on my past posts and apply all techniques that can help me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5.7.2019

3.3.2022 - Thank you for the 3 years!!!! (2019~2022)

9.3.2020