11.05.2019

For this class, we began to work on improving the structure of our pamphlets and brochures that we created last semester. I had only learned a basic 3 paragraph essay from when I was in my old school, so it was new to me to work on an essay as a group. I knew that in order to create an interesting essay, it would mean to create an influential hook, but I learned from today, that there are many methods to deliver a sentence that can encourage people to continue reading. One example would be to add a quote from a famous person that can help summarize the overall message of your writing, without having to think of it on your own. I like the idea of adding quotes because through researching them, I can go more into depth on my research topic, and therefore helps optimize my time when creating the essay. Another example would be to start with a story that is emotional to the readers. Whether if the writing style is different, one thing is similar, and it is that human emotions help create a stronger and unique connection with the readers that makes it memorable. An example would be to add a sad story since sad stories bring more condolences. In this way, I thought that readers are likely to read your writing based on the first sentences, meaning that it is important to create something impactful.

A normal essay would start with one to two sentences that include a hook, 3 to 8 sentences that explains the background and the informative portion of the paragraph, and finally a thesis statement that summarizes the whole essay. The 3 body paragraphs include the same structure as the introduction. There is a topic sentence that explains the overall info of the paragraph. The topic sentence should be summarized so that it connects to the 3 supporting sentences. The 3 supporting sentences that include the proof of concept by quoting essays and other research papers. The body paragraphs conclude with a concluding sentence, noting that a conclusion is the name of the last paragraph. There are 2 different types of concluding sentences. The firsts one is a paraphrased repeat of the topic sentence. This type of sentencing structure can be utilized to exaggerate the topic sentence, or when the topic sentence was difficult to understand. The other type of sentence would be to summarize the 3 topic sentences. This type can be implemented when the claim of the paragraph may not be likable by the readers, as well as if the information is difficult to understand. This structure can be then repeated for the other 2 body paragraphs. Before the conclusion, there should be a summary that imposes as the topic sentence, that compactly outlines the statements. Then, the conclusion can be written. The conclusion paragraph is a paraphrased repeat of the overall points that the essay is conveying. The more variety of vocabulary the writer includes, the essay becomes interesting since it doesn't have any repetition. Then, it would move onto the reasoning of why the writer's claim is appropriate.

An extended essay follows a similar flow, and only the body paragraphs would be extended into sections, meaning that each person in the team would be writing a mini 3 paragraph essay that can be then intertwined in the end. For this to work, I would like to cooperate with my teammates and prepare the contents of the essay before starting to construct the sections because otherwise, there may be an imbalance in information, as well as a possibility that some of the information being repeated. Overall, I was able to reflect over the essay structure that I'd learned years back, and therefore want to move onto practicing this style, as well as start collecting proof that can be handy in creating the actual section.
x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5.7.2019

3.3.2022 - Thank you for the 3 years!!!! (2019~2022)

9.3.2020