1.20.2020

In today's class, since computers were booked during this time, we were introduced to a new tool that can be utilized in editing your own writing such as research papers and essays. This tool called Zotero is a versatile helper that can assist with citing sources. Like what Mr. Paterson recalled, sources should be varied and balanced, since different media can offer different information. For example, books can be found in the library but also through researching conveniently in Amazon and such can connect to the software. I was intrigued by how an engine can detect a type of media and automatically fill in the conditions that meet a reliable bibliography. Moreover, I also liked how the notes system can help users add quotes without having to switch windows.

I think that it is important to engage with different media because each genre has its own characteristics in how they project information. Media more relied on visuals are likely to prove their statement in a narrative, meaning that the director's thought can be analyzed better in those instances, while professional methods such as essays can be utilized for hard facts. Since learning that there are different styles in citing, as well as varying in terms of the type of source, first impressions of Zotero sounded useful. Having a machine pick up the important factors in citing can increase the accuracy of the bibliography, as well as efficient when past citations are stored in an online library. Being able to look back at past websites can help me with understanding the array of references which then can be analyzed to recommend myself what other sources I should be looking for. Moreover, I liked how the citation can be edited freely by the user, meaning that any mistypes or missing information can be added. I used to cite media through a website recommended by my old schools, so I do understand that these types of software are limited in their ability. Since Zotero only identifies information written on a certain page, some information, mostly coming from online books are obscure. An example would be the originated place where the book was first published. Although a book-making process is multi-international, it was useful to learn to write the place of the publishing company. Through learning to source especially from tools like Zotero, I think not only can you cut time, but you can also learn new facts about where your quotes come from.

When we worked on our group essay during the second semester, something that was difficult to accomplish was the citations. Especially when we look through a variety of news articles every day, it would be confusing and tough to memorize the rules of all 20 or more methods of citation, so when it came time to be graded by Mr. Paterson, the main issue that was pointed out was how the resources were cited. In this case, endnotes were mixed up with the MLA 8 format, which are both correct but follow separate rules. When writing a good essay, relying on other sources is prominent for further inquiry, but because it takes time gathering all aspects, it was very relieving to be introduced to a software that can be downloaded through a variety of technology, and especially when it can analyze the citations used within the paper to generate a list of bibliography in alphabetical order is when I was really impressed by it. I bet there are other apps with similar concepts, but I would like to learn to use this in order to reduce unnecessary time to type citations when I could utilize the spare time to edit my paragraphs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5.7.2019

3.3.2022 - Thank you for the 3 years!!!! (2019~2022)

9.3.2020