1.21.2020
Today's class was a bit different than other LE classes because Mr. Paterson showcased examples of essays from other universities. We reflected back on what makes a good essay by learning the structure of a 5 paragraph paper. For a university level, it was best to create 3 topics within one paragraph, which included multiple sources from different media. When Mr. Paterson showed us on the projector, a "good" presentation, I saw the sheer amount of resources all lined up in the right alphabetical order, which in the first impression, seemed like a reliable essay. I also liked how the paragraphs were divided into clear categories so that it would be easier to understand for readers. Moreover, he showed us a bad example where there were a few points missing out. One of them would be a reference list that was written without a chosen format. Without seeing a thesis statement nor a research paper, I felt a vacancy in the paper, despite the length of the essay.
From this, I tried to check my individual essay again before it gets critiqued in future classes. Something that I need fo fix is my resources because I hadn't used Zotero. Since I'm still not grasping the different methods of citing, it was hard for me to differentiate between all formats, so when although I had researched for more than 3 websites, I thought that I was missing information needed to fit all the requirements. For me, I had only used websites and research papers, so I would like to incorporate more books, and the method that Mr. Paterson taught us yesterday about scanning through amazon was one way to luckily find useful quotes. However, I also thought that going to a near library would also give access to the whole book itself. but since the numbers and popularity in the English section are limited, I still considered this to be reasonable. Another problem that I want to fix is the reliability of the sources itself because some of them include their own opinions towards the problem, so the information may be edited to look as if it is negative, so I would have to double-check or find a different source that can prove its point.
By downloading Zotero and syncing it with Word, I would like to recheck all the sources, as well as add extra information to create a neutral essay. If I use any sources that are opinion-based, it may not be as proven as something such as a research paper. Since news articles write happenings in their own words, there is a possibility of fake information, so even the quoted citations may be considered as a lie. However, if the sources are data proven or from an organization that is famous, it would more likely be trusted as one written by an anonymous person. Like this, I learned that analyzing where the information is coming from is another key point in creating an essay that is persuasive.
Comments
Post a Comment