1.27.2020


Since Mr. Paterson showcased us Zotero, I have been listing and documenting my sources onto the software. Although at first, I didn’t know where the language preferences were, I got the hang of it once I had configured everything, so I was able to set it up before the class. However, it was hard to link the software with other browsers such as Chrome, so whenever I tried to add a citation on google docs, a pop-screen with the lines of “updating google document” showed, only to continue updating for the next 2 hours or so, until nothing happens in return. Also, on word, bugs happened when I tried to click add citation, and no reaction came from Zotero, even if it was opened on a separate window. Through relearning the steps again, and the overall class itself, I was able to solve the problems that I was facing, and therefore understood the importance of getting guidance.

It turned out that the reason why Zotero wasn’t linking with other devices, even though the Word plug-in was installed, was because of a bad Wi-Fi connection. Like other groups presented last semester, many presented a major problem in this school technologically, to be ineffective Wi-Fi placement, and weak connection. I think that because the campus is large, and there is a lot of equipment from school computers to teacher’s tech that needs to be connected to it, it involuntarily connects to the downgrade in power, despite if the original device was expensive or not. In other words, certain places where the Wi-Fi router is near them, are more likely to absorb more useful connection, leaving the rest of the building left with only a small amount. We have been utilizing Google docs as our most prioritized document software because it can be shared and cooperated by numerous organizers. However, in some cases, I thought that using word as a useful offline app would better increase the chances of Zotero working. I think that if there was a document software that can balance sharing abilities and coping mechanisms, it would be able to cope with any Wi-Fi network that it comes across.

In all, it was a relieve to know that what I did at home to set up Zotero was correct. I was a bit unsure at first, and even if it did work at home in terms of citing, there were a few moments that were quite buggy as well. Knowing that Zotero was working, I was able to recite all the citations using Word, and it was exciting to see all the Zotero citations in the bibliography because then it would mean that Zotero has detected a Zotero citation in the essay. I would like to be able to cite efficiently using both the Chrome extension and the software add-ons as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6.23.2020

3.3.2022 - Thank you for the 3 years!!!! (2019~2022)

1.20.2022