1.28.2020

We were given the deadline for our essays to be next week, so Mr. Paterson refreshed us with the necessities in a good essay, so I made sure to learn and review my work. I wrote the summary for my essay during late nights, so when I read it again, a lot of the wording did not make sense, which was a problem because the summary/conclusion paragraph should be clear for readers to understand the comprehensive information of the essay, meaning that the summary should be shorter than the conclusion portion where readers can be assured of the paper's reliability. A problem that was pointed out by Mr. Paterson for our group writing was that we had written more summary than the actual persuasive part, so I made sure to integrate that as part of my homework to improve it by next Monday. 

Through Mr. Paterson critiquing other people's essays, I made sure to edit it as he followed along. For example, I didn't know that a detailed composition would need a 2 part title. One that is a title version of a catchy hook, while a longer title with a detailed explanation of the overall perspective of the essay. Once I changed the title, I felt that it fit better than with only a catchy title, because then, it looked more formal, and explanatory. Through this correction,  I was able to improve the quality of my essay and learned that catchiness isn't the only key in creating an appealing piece of work. Something else that struck me was the lack of limitations. Although the whole conclusion paragraph itself needs to be revised, something that I did totally miss out on was the limitations. Comparing with the group essay, my conclusion paragraph felt vacant without writing the challenges. However, other than that, I think that I was able to meet Mr. Paterson's main requirements, from changing the spacing of the paragraphs to indenting, as well as writing a hook with a clear background. It was hard at first to find a quote with proof of its existence because most quotes come from websites that collect meaningful sayings by famous people. However, through Google Books, I was able to find a written book with an appropriate quote that fits my main statement. 

Due to Zotero working again, I rechecked all my citations in my essay, as well as focused on improving the conclusion paragraph, as well as for the hook of the introduction paragraph. I made sure to include background research and wrote the authors and publishers of the bibliography outside brackets so that readers would know that the cited information wasn't fake. It was most surprising to know that we wouldn't be fitting academic standards when choosing a quote from collection websites because it didn't have a source itself, which I did understand. However, that got me wondering about whether or not if a quote that everyone knows should be used, despite the fact of lacking proof that it was said by that person. To be honest, the topic that I wrote the essay about was not a famous dilemma, so for me, sources were limited, which also limited the number of quotes, meaning that I wasn't worried about other's opinions. It would be useful if there were more information or a clearer organizational method to understand the derivative of authors and publishers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6.23.2020

3.3.2022 - Thank you for the 3 years!!!! (2019~2022)

1.20.2022