End of Year Reflection

This year's LE class was unlike any other class I'd taken in past grades. Its introduction to the use of technology in an English class felt like home for me because it was an environment that I felt comfortable learning in. From the use of google presentations and handy editing tools ranging from AWL checker "Lextutor", to an automatic citation device that gave me more time to polish the essay in 3rd semester, a wide array of information and tricks was covered during this year. When I first entered LE class, I had thought of it as any other typical English class but here, I liked how English was more like a side menu, and the freedom of incorporating these skills in interactive tasks such as presenting in front of the class. Moreover, I enjoyed the implementation of technology that not only was utilized in this class but also the fact that some techniques were applied to other presentations in other subjects. Not only did I learned tips to creating effective visuals, but I also did acquire English skills throughout the year, focusing on oral speech and improvisation of the language, that I noticed that I was still lacking at. In addition, cooperating with the same group for the whole 3 semesters, was a new experience for me in which I learned to stay cohesive with advancing homework because most of the time, I cram last minute to finish individual tasks. As a whole, I was able to gain skills from both a linguistic point of view and also from a technological point of view.

Through handling different media and tools, I was able to dive into the right technique to engage audiences in a presentation. Before, I had viewed a presentation and a presenter as one of each other, and I had based my presentation as a timeline of my speaker notes. However, through Mr. Paterson's class, not only did it change the way I designed my presentations but the reasoning behind it made it, even more, assuring for me to implement. An aspect of presentation designing that I found interesting was the use of word shaping and placement to make it match the background image. An example that was showcased was of a sample presentation about Japanese Castles where the font of the title was shaped like the roofs of a Japanese castle and the placement being parallel with the slope of the castle. This seemed very creative for me because then it would add a unique characteristic to each presentation, and therefore making it memorable. Another technique that I learned was the synchronization of the images to the information of that particular slide. Although I did know the importance of selecting a photo that matches the topic of the presentation, I wasn't sure of the actual effects of them since I normally wrote words that explained the topic as well. By eliminating words to the least amount possible, I saw just how impactful pictures were without any explanation. It was especially when the pictures were coordinated in every slide made the overall presentation even more fashionable and neat.

This class was the only class that had at least one presentation each semester, which was a great exercise for me, and in which I was intrigued by the techniques that people used to create a more engaging performance. Since improvisation is my weak spot, I was always unsure of my presenting skills, but through practicing and learning new tricks, it encouraged me to become confident in the abilities that I have. Through the change in posture and adding gestures that change physical behavior, it not only boosted my confidence but also added more engagement with the audience. In addition, I was interested in the little details that build up a great presentation. For example, I liked the idea of eliminating a border between the audience by not standing behind a podium. It was then that I realized the amount of distance that is placed between those who speak behind a podium compared to those who speak while maximizing the stage space. Furthermore, the idea of critiquing each other's presentations as a group was also effective, since seeing yourself through other people's eyes can show the reality of your situation. Just like your voice doesn't sound anything like what you hear from a recording, I was surprised at the habits that I speak from watching the videos of me talking. Since my so-called habits have been with me for the longest, it came down on me that I hadn't recognized them as a habit, which therefore was the reason that it stayed there without being fixed. From watching and analyzing the recording, I was able to point out some of my key problems and therefore was easier to find solutions that were effective in solving them.

There are so many other applications and websites that we went through this year. However, these can mainly be channeled into two categories of learning through English and learning through technology. In terms of linguistics, I was able to attain a better understanding of writing a fully-fledged essay through learning the base structure of a 3 paragraph writing consisting of a tidy thesis statement and reliable proof that can lure reader's attention. On top of that, through the introduction of Grammarly, Zotero, and other neat extensions all supported me in creating an approvable essay. The TGUISS innovation project was for me received as an enjoyable group work activity. Although it prolonged yearly, and with that came a lot of pressure, I am proud of what we have worked on. Seeing the development process of the presentation to the websites, and finally, to the essays, it is mesmerizing to see the effort coming together. This LE class was free and a lot of conversation was involved which for me was a key point. For future classes, I would like to incorporate the skills that I had learned and make sure to reflect back on these blogger posts to see the effort and time that was put into creating this amazing portfolio.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6.23.2020

3.3.2022 - Thank you for the 3 years!!!! (2019~2022)

1.20.2022