7.21.2020
Today, we were given back our grades for the assignment. I was glad that the long hours of effort finally pushed through and had given a fine result. It was very difficult to shorten the essay and reduce the number of quotes from it, as I had pointed out in an earlier blog, whilst sustaining a high school level AWL and reading level. However, it was frustrating to see that I had a couple of misses in contraction as feedback. I had written academic essays before and I have always used the proper versions, but it was very silly to not review and especially look for any obvious casualties like those. From this, I guessed that I became careless, from the fact that I had experienced this process multiple times, so, from next time, I am certainly going to probe for those mistakes.
This meant that I was able to publish my revision pretty quickly. However, upon submitting the file and opening it through the plagiarism checker to see if the changes have been made, I had seen that the E-Rater was working. Now, the other document which the grades were given wasn't acceptable by E-Rater, and had created an error message, saying that it was unable to decipher the document for further inspection, so it was strange that the second assignment's E-Rater worked perfectly. Upon seeing E-rater's results, I could see that there are many passive sentences. Although I had already posted the essay, I may have to resubmit and change the mistakes that E-rater pointed out. I hope that E-Rater fixes this issue, or it may have been an issue in my account because it would have helped if the grammar checker analyzed my text on the first assignment. Perhaps there may have been other people who would feel grateful to use this tool.
Besides the grade, I was able to enjoy working on my essay. It made me dive into areas that I may not have researched about such as the history of French Algeria, or the many plagues in history. By writing this essay, I feel like my writing abilities have improved a bit since I am able to think of sentences more quickly. However, there is still the underlying issue of passive voice and vocabulary that needs to be enhanced, so I am looking forward to focusing on those problems.
Comments
Post a Comment