7.7.2020

I hadn't known Turnitin, but I think that it's by far the most useful tool that we've been introduced to this year. Although I had enjoyed Paperrater, and Lextutor thus far, as they were useful tools in terms of improving my essay, but the plagiarism tools in Turnitin, makes this website the best one that I've come across. Plagiarism was always a big topic for me, and in classes from elementary school, we've been told to always rewrite with your own words. However, it was difficult to find out if you've been reciting the right way. If I had known Turnitin, it would have helped reduce time off of so many projects, that I'm feeling regret. However, there were a couple factors that I had thought were questioning. For example, some sentences were highlighted as plagiarism because they contained common words that anyone could be using. I hope they improve their accuracy and actually identify sentences that have a possibility to be plagiarised because I want this system to be spread to other devices as well. In Japan especially, where Mr. Paterson also explained, was controversially a country that lacked in their rewriting abilities compared to other countries

When I attended a Japanese elementary school, one thing I noticed was how they were using computers. Fortunately, our school did have computers, so we used them to work on a presentation about a certain country. However, the sites they've used consisted of Wikipedia and since the computer restricted going to certain sites, our selection was limited. Moreover, students weren't taught about plagiarism or so I recall, which means that there may be students copying information from Wikipedia, without any citations. Now, there are a lot of violations here, but if we had Turnitin, students can understand the criteria of plagiarism and realize how their research is used in many other's work. However, in order for Turnitin to work, students need access to their computers because there aren't enough to provide for all. In addition, teachers would need to create a school account, so I think it will take more time until education towards copying is initiated in elementary school. Despite that, I think our school understands more about the topic, thus the pretty small average rate of plagiarism which includes our bibliography.

In the beginning, I had a 15% which I was surprised because I had tended to rewrite my essay. However, most of the violations were towards quotes, which showed me that it wasn't the plagiarism that was the problem, but that I had a lot of evidence or information from the internet than my own opinions. To ensure that I have 90% of the work was my own thoughts, I would like to use the next class to crop out some unnecessary quotes and include opinions because it is a book review after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5.7.2019

3.3.2022 - Thank you for the 3 years!!!! (2019~2022)

9.3.2020