9.24.2020
In today's class, we listened to the last of the presentations by those who have attended LE class from the second year. From there, I've noticed a big improvement in the presentations, since there was a big break in between. However, the biggest lesson that I'd learned from today was fully acknowledging the importance of speaking slowly. Now, I had talked about analyzing my classmate's speaking speed in order to grasp an idyllic example of utilizing the stated amount of time to its full extent. This means that until now, a majority of the presenters were addressed in an openly manner in which they spoke diligently with their time. So I was surprised today when I encountered a highly accelerated presentation in which the presenter spoke quite rapidly. The similarities between how I spoke based on the video and that person were very uncanny. I had assumed that I was probably the only one who would speak at such speed, but it turns out, I had some competition.
Besides the thought, we were reminded today about morally using our devices in class. As a presenter was about to finish, Mr. Paterson interrupted the class about the importance of being able to control your usage on our phones. This made me reflect on how the modern generation including me, has lived through a very technological world in which every day, there are marvelous evolutions of new digital devices that improve on every aspect including the design and most importantly, specs. The ubiquity of these tools has probably become part of our identity, as in some extreme cases, people get addicted to these devices. In our class, these devices should be used as an academic assistant and not part of our lives, but I feel like it's getting harder to distinguish between those two. Although we got into trouble for using our devices wrongly, and I agree that some blame should be on the person who picked up the phone, we also know that these devices were created to be addictive, thus why they have become a part of us; so much so, that we forget that we are in an academic environment once we hold them to our faces.
Overall, I was able to recognize the extent of my speaking skills by comparing to some of the presenters today, as well as learning about the importance of having composure when dealing with technological devices.
Comments
Post a Comment