10.20.2020

 Today, we were given a new assignment, to write about our preferences in reading, and subsequently, devising a summary of a story that you would have wanted to write about. Now, before doing so Mr. Paterson introduced us to a writing challenge that aims to engage writers all around the world to start and finish a 40,000-word long novel in order to win their desired prizes. When I was first introduced to it, I was very astonished by the number of words needed to qualify, but upon second-thinking, I noticed that we used to host this challenge in y old school, and I remember vividly one of my classmates using his break time to complete his imaginary adventure. Still, I believe that this challenge is very difficult, as we tend to gain numerous ideas on a book, only to leave them all hanging on a cliffhanger waiting to be finished. In fact, after announcing this assignment, I went ahead and looked at some stories that I wrote during my last years at my old school, and I could see that a majority of my work wasn't finished, and so, I sensed that I won't be able to accomplish 1500 words a day, so when the teacher also reminded us that we weren't going to be joining but rather working on a similar project, I was relieved.

I love reading contemporary, philosophy, fiction, and a tad bit psychological horror. I was able to develop my preference towards these genres through numerous recommendations and read-throughs of great books. For some, contemporary may sound boring, and although it is true that contemporary is basically a realistic story set in similar timelines of the readers, it brings a sense of relatability which I really enjoy especially when the characters are developed significantly throughout the story. However, recently, I have started to form an interest in horror, as some of my friends do recommend that genre. I had thought that horror only consisted of physical gore thus is why I was afraid to touch it, but since I read "The Silent Patient" (Which I generally recommend) I relaized that it wasn't just about the bloodiness which makes a climactic thriller. 

All of that could be written in the preferences document which I would like to continue filling so next class. Meanwhile, I perhaps would want to finish the unfinished stories in my account. Nevertheless, this class encouraged me to reconsider writing again, while also creating an excuse for me to buy a new book. Overall, I enjoyed the concept of the assignment, and am looking foward to seeing the premises of other's stories as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6.23.2020

3.3.2022 - Thank you for the 3 years!!!! (2019~2022)

1.20.2022