1.28.2021

We were introduced to a couple of new sources that could help boost the quality of the film by showcasing free domain songs and video clips. I really liked the shots of the Redbull commercial, since they were captured using exceptionally good camera work and droning. This shows the importance of operating on a steady budget, as it gives access to a variety of gadgets that could tremendously up the professionalism. However, I feel like not all films have to look like it has been made on a hefty allowance. In fact, depending on the incentive of the film, intentionally lowering the value of the shots can elicit a whole new spectrum of emotion. Vlog-like shots, mostly filmed from a first perspective can elicit a homely atmosphere as well as a sense of reality. By differentiating the style from typical Hollywood busters which usually have very similar visual rhetorics (such as, walking away from an explosion),  I believe that it would become more entertaining in some way. Perhaps I could implement these techniques in the PIE film itself, as we are aiming for an emotional connection with our target audience. 

As for the free media websites showcased, all of them were novel to me, but I have indeed used some of the creative commons sites such as Pixabay and Pexels, all containing very high-quality clips.  So in those ways, I am quite experienced with detecting reliable websites that provide free videos. Although I adore the high-quality imagery, a barrier that I could face with using them would be the need to amp up the quality of the clips taken by us in order to sustain a consistent level of professionalism. I have faced this problem before when I worked on my book trailer, where I had switched from a headshot view of myself, to free videos, and upon uploading the video onto the website did I notice the clear contrast. The headshot of myself had been taken on the front facing camera of a laptop, therefore looking unsatisfactory compared to the amazing drone shot landscapes of Pexels' videos. Upon utilizing these sites, I would need to double-check to see if my own video clips could emulate the same feeling of expertness, which would mean upgrading to a better camera.

Something that I was surprised about though was the great music included. Although I have found music such as Prod. Riddiman which provides excellent pop music entirely for the price of none before, I haven't gotten the chance to use it yet, so I may want to do so for the PIE event. Moreover, Youtube Audio Library is also a great source as it is very reliable and includes a variety of genres. I recommend the sound effects as well since sampling these effects can be time-consuming at times. However, we have recently found music that is not free use for all, but its lyrics fit perfectly with the theme of the film. If I remember correctly Mr. Paterson showcased a mashup video prior to this class which used music with lyrics that fit what's going on in the film. So, I was wondering if we would be allowed to use music with the intention that its lyrics match the concept, with an additional factor of it being covered by ourselves. (Using our own instruments, knowledge of mixing, Garageband, etc...)

Comments

  1. You smartphone camera is much better than you laptop one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

6.23.2020

3.3.2022 - Thank you for the 3 years!!!! (2019~2022)

1.20.2022