4.21.2021

When we were told to take "promotion" pictures for our school, it was almost instinctive to stage the mise en scène. We made it look like the library was open twenty-four seven with actors positioned with exciting gestures to strengthen the image of the school as an amazing environment to learn in. So upon reflecting on the last few weeks, I’ve noticed how these deceitful promotions were everywhere, some that I hadn’t even considered. Out of the public images I’ve seen, the most recognizable type of editing was on social media, where people are able to Facetune themselves into their idealistic form. These are self-explanatory and are something that once understanding that they exist, can be easily ignored. However, recent technology has allowed for more refined edits, making it harder for followers to recognize the true face of our favorite influencers. Moreover, those with younger audiences may feel displeased with their image from comparing themselves with the overflowing amount of pictures that standardizes “beauty” as perfection. I feel that it’s important to use social media as a source of sharing inspiration, and not a competition for fame. 

However, what I am truly afraid of allowing falsifying information to become a norm is the possibility of the media taking full control over our lives. With data serving as a prominent aspect in catering the right services, their scales have increased tremendously as well. I may sound paranoid but I wonder to what extent does our daily news and media control what we see and feel about the world. Besides, if we could fake it well. then who can’t?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5.7.2019

3.3.2022 - Thank you for the 3 years!!!! (2019~2022)

9.3.2020