4.28.2021
Today, we applied our knowledge yesterday to an actual case of fraudulence by Monsanto and its rGBH milk-inducing products. Hearing the journalists go through such a nerving and pressuring battle between the reckless news companies, Monsato's ludicrous accusations, and the judges' wealthy ideologies were all awful and sickening to the core. I believe that their case truly revealed the arbitrariness of the media industry where people were twisting the truth into an idealistic form that suited the advertisers and representatives of Monsanto. Whatsmore, I hadn't known about this case until today, and seeing as I had been to America for travel before and had unknowingly eaten fro-yo at a young age, it proves that the elusive tactics they use, are working well in their hands. Through this class, I felt the need to reflect back on the lifetime worth of products that I have used, and question their ethicalities.
More importantly, I was astonished by the fact that America doesn't legally bind the falsification of news. However, now that I think of it, even when I spot fake news they never get taken down. Perhaps it's hard for authorities to pull a line between truth and lies because unlike the lies we encounter in our everyday conversations, news outlets change the expression and not the content in order to avoid questions by public users. An example is Monsanto's case was altering "cancer" as "human health implications". People won't argue about the way they say it, but may even likely forgive the fact that Monsanto admitted to some of their product flaws. In this way, the public will never know that these so-called "implications" were actually diagnostics that are detrimental to their health. This is why I think it's difficult for a concrete set of rules to be accepted by congress.
Recently, the Japanese government has initiated its digitalization project, and I heard my family talking about providing tablets to all elementary schools nationwide. As children are being allowed to immerse themselves in the online world, we need to also worry about the media taking advantage of their susceptibility into taking everything seriously. Yet, this also gives people opportunities to educate themselves into becoming rational individuals who are able to recognize the traps that exist in current media.
Comments
Post a Comment