9.22.2021

Throughout past classes, I had come to terms with the way media controlled the public using their visual and psychological tactics, but little did I know the influence they had on public opinion. In today's class, we discussed the ins and outs of retaining supportive political campaigns through watching a documentary called "Constructing Public Opinion". Sadly we weren't able to finish it in time, but the points that were conveyed were compelling. Especially, the extremities they take of the music industry in order to suppress and control political ideology. When I first heard the opening music of the documentary, I thought I might get it, seeing as I know and like a few rock bands (Franz Ferdinand is a bop), but it was surprising to know that Rage Against the Machine songs had political messages embedded in them, and more so the fact that they have been banned from 70% of all radio channels. I'm not sure how many radio listeners tune in solely to hear the radio music, but I thought it was an absurd decision to place a ban this strict. I feel it only reveals and strengthens the biased opinions of Clear channel. Of course, the radio is for the public, and making the listeners uncomfortable is not ideal, but I don't understand why they have to take political bands this seriously. I also wonder if there are other bands who have been faced with similar situations.

Moving on, another fact that was surprising was the news' ways of straw-manning public opinion; taking an argument and twisting it to prove its incongruity. An example shown in the documentary was the idea of education, and that despite the public demanding more money spend on education, TV news had reported on how exceptional schools are without spending a penny on its education. I had thought that the news would be on the public's side, but seeing as the news industry is a business itself, I guess it's anticipated.  Relating to the news, I also learned about how conservatives tend to be vague with their policies, and that people tend to support vague and grandiose statements. Listening to the presidential candidates speak openly and agreeing on improving every single issue in Japan, I perceived them as also using the same tactics. Frankly, it is promising to know that a candidate in understanding the issues of Japan, but now that I acknowledge the impact of ambiguity, I don't immediately make judgments based on future prospects.

Similarly, I found it agreeable when the documentary had talked about the media bringing attention to useless arguments to veer the public's eye from real issues. When searching about such examples in Japan, my groupmate remembered the media showcasing this year's presidential candidates with unneeded information on themselves. The photo below is from NHK, and they have covered the basics of the 4 candidates. However, we can see that half of the indexes are about their personal lives, ranging from hobbies to favorite food. I may understand why they have done this, in an effort to present the candidates as relatable and humane. However personally, I would rather have them cover what they're proposing, as this election is major and impactful. Although this may not be as extreme as obviously biased news channels in America, doesn't mean that we can let this through. Therefore, I hope that we become more constructive in how the media projects information to us and improving how we shape our biases based on them.




Comments