9.7.2021

In the past, I have heard that Fox News was judgmental and extremely biased. However, since the only time I visited America and watched American broadcast networks was during elementary school, today’s documentary called “Outfoxed•Rupert Murdoch’s war on journalism” helped me understand Fox from the insiders’ perspectives. This documentary was well built, as it broke down and analyzed the tactics that Fox uses by attributing past news clips, interviewed with former producers, and presenting the history of the tycoon that is, Rupert Murdoch. For me, it was quite shocking to see the extent to which Fox employees cross in order to achieve the desired content since Japanese news doesn't tend to be overtly political. So, when I saw the empirical evidence that viewers of Fox were manipulated into believing the overexaggerated,  it was serene. From watching the video, I learned the impact of media being controlled by a handful of millionaires, and more specifically about the dilemma that their employees go through of whether to be virtuous to Fox's ideologies, or to their journalism. 

One aspect that this documentary analyzed was the empire of Rupert Murdoch and his wealthy impact on the media industry. When researching about Murdoch post-watching,  not only did I learn that he owns one of the biggest news companies in the oligopoly structure, News Corporation, I found out that he owns  Fox News, Sport, The Wall Street Journal, and more. As he is disclosed as a supportive conservative, I felt that this was a threat for liberals. His political views were very present in Fox, as during the election, there were countless stories that praised Bush and his republican congresses. Employees were told to gather the information that commends the Bush administration and disdains or weakens the opposite, to the extent of fraudulently announcing Bush's win, resulting in an early celebration. Even other news anchors that understand the stance of Fox are wavered into believing their news. Besides, journalism is meant to be true and objective... right?

This leads me to the next characteristic of Fox which was appalling. This was the lies and arrogance that Fox News anchors produce to please the conservative views. Frankly, it was quite hilarious to see the creativity of these News anchors and I wonder if they know the statements they make are outrageous. One significant case being, accusing former presidential candidate John Kerry of being French-looking. I didn't believe that they were able to say that on national TV, but the electoral votes don't show otherwise. Knowing that Bush won, this shows that delivery matters more than content in certain cases. Other instances include news anchor Bill O'neilley's constant hindrance of liberal guests and "shut up!", so overall it was quite shocking.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6.23.2020

3.3.2022 - Thank you for the 3 years!!!! (2019~2022)

1.20.2022