10.28.2021

We continued watching the documentary, "the corporation", and we specifically looked at how corporations hide images, initiate tax-deductible schemes, and the importance of branding. First, we looked at a company whose sole purpose is to help companies alter their image, and especially evade its bad history. I didn't know companies were willing to pay for external services to maintain their image, which sent a message about the importance of sustaining a good company reputation. I was more shocked however by its past clients, it being Union Carbide. I had reread my past blog to recap on this issue better but knew the detrimental health effects that it had on the people of Bhopal, with up to 20,000 dead due to poisonous gas leaks. I realized that one of the side effects of capitalism is the ability to exploit and yet be seen as innocent by having the power of financial success. If used correctly, I can't imagine the power one can hold where no such evidence can be found of a company's history despite it conducting severe violations in the past. As the internet has become the main platform for streaming and making yourself present, I wonder if these companies hired to erase certain truths, expand their services into the digital world. 

Next, we watched about tax deductibility, and how companies are able to control land and purchase abodes without the tax cuts. The main example that was showcased was Pfizer that created housings near their factories that would benefit Pfizer workers and such. These arbitrary changes were only beneficial to them but were yet allowed the tax deduction. I thought this was unfair to nonmajor companies who might have needed the land to expand their projects. And by allowing already multi-billion franchisees access to opportunities to improve their ever-growing economies was contradictory in itself. It was hilarious to see the subway station guards not answering the intercom messages through Pfizer officials, making it obvious that this was all just a grand scheme to not only sell more products but also maintain a humble image. Hearing all the street interviews and people imagining and humanizing companies to describe them were so diametrically opposed, it was quite intriguing. This signifies the power of branding. "Branding is production". This is what I heard during the video, and I completely agreed. Branding requires a strategic effort of placement, design, and obviously great trumpet skills. An example of branding was discussed through Disney, where they bought star wars due to the overwhelming amount of shared profit plots. Before George Lucas's passing of Star wars to the public, he had allowed numerous science fiction writers to add on their own representations and narratives onto the 3 original films. However, Disney fearing that George Lucas's death would initiate the public domain clock willingly bought the franchise. As such, I was able to accumulate my understanding of how branding is produced.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3.3.2022 - Thank you for the 3 years!!!! (2019~2022)

6.23.2020

1.20.2022