11.11.2021

 In this class, we got an explanation for an upcoming writing task due at the end of the semester. We need to rewatch the movie "Iraq's missing billions", and write a reactions and reflections essay including how the content relates to the media, politics, and corporation systems while analyzing the reason behind the documentary's stirring criticism and controversies. The essay should include an intro with a hook, background, and a thesis with a topic, claim, and 3 supporting reasons. In addition, body paragraphs should also have supporting sentences with 3 subsections, 3 sentences per subsection, and a concluding sentence. Finally, the conclusion would have a 3 sentence summary, the main conclusion, and its limitations.  Reflecting back on the time I had watched the documentary, I wasn't conscious about connecting the happenings of Iraq with the content of "The Corporation". However, through the lesson watching the last part of the film, I could analyze why corporations took the decision to spree the money and billed such outrageous invoices. I am keen to work on this essay and discover more ties between the two documentaries.

Slightly before WW2, fascist groups such as Mussolini in Italy and the Hitler dictatorship in Germany were revered by businesses in capitalist societies. This was because the leaders were investing huge sums of money in companies and growing their profits. As such, as the Great Depression hit the US, these business leaders became discontent with the current economic policies. President Roosevelt had initiated the New Deal, but that wasn't enough to hinder a secret plot held together by high-ranking officials to overthrow the current democratic government with the appointment of a dictator. Amidst all of this, General Smedly Butler, an American soldier was encouraged to lead the coup d'etat. However, he ended up openly disclosing to the public about the alleged scheme, and alas ended in failure. He, later on, published the "War is a Racket", arguing that big corporations favor war as it is profitable, and became the anti-war veteran. In retrospect, I believe this statement is true, because of the past histories when Japan had profited off of aiding the Korean War as it was under US control. According to an article, 27% of exported goods were for the US, and this increase boosted Japan's economy. Therefore, I thought it was quite obvious that companies would enjoy war. In this way, companies and governments have similar views and are compatible in terms of economic needs.

This is why I was not surprised when I heard the existence of NSA (critical thinking contortion), where industries and governments discuss and work together. What was profound and unexpected was how easily companies could receive a seat at the UN. When companies can profit more than some small countries, I am starting to see a blur between corporations and governments. I am afraid that one day, a country could be overthrown by a single enterprise, and this overturn would become a new form of coup d'etat. Because, nothing can back off a corporation from maximizing profit, even to the smallest of details. For example, Mr. Paterson talked about how the Northern Scottish accent was used in numerous ads because it was deemed the most trustworthy voice. Though knowing this information and using it is itself a questionable act, I could sense their desperateness. I wonder if other similar trends in advertisements are also a strategy to increase consumerism.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6.23.2020

3.3.2022 - Thank you for the 3 years!!!! (2019~2022)

1.20.2022