11.2.2021

 Today due to technological problems, we opted to taking a political compass test. This was established in 2001, and has been used by numerous academics, journals and newspapers as an indicator to distinguish people's political views based on social and economic stances. The results are curated into a two way graph with the x axis being Left and Right, and the Y axis being Authoritarian or Libertarian. Before I wasn't sure and found it hard to distinguish between left, libertarian, right, and authoritarian. However, by experiencing this test, I recognized that left and right are merely just representations of economical views, and the latter being social issues. When I looked at the political compass of the recent US presidential candidates, I was very surprised that the so called democratic politicians such as Barack Obama and Joe Biden were right leaning and authoritarian like Donald Trump. In contrary, those who were left and libertarian were unheard of, which made me come to a conclusion that successful politicians are inevitably one sided towards corporate prioritization. However, it made sense as in order to succeed in a campaign, would require extraordinary sums of money that can only be obtained from rich investors and business owners. And by executing policies that are preferable to them are a way of paying back during the election. I wonder how the organizers of the political compass were able to plot the positions of such politicians accurately, because from an ordinary person like me, I was easily fooled by their title, rather than their policies in reality. I found it very ironic that the democracy that we so care for is an accumulation of unaware citizens voting towards diametrically opposed political tycoons. 

When I took the test, I was placed roughly in the left and libertarian category. I felt that this was predictable, as many of the questions were quite extreme such as illegalizing abortion and rights to religion, as well as corporate value. When comparing with my friends, I also found similarities in where we were positioned. Curious to understand the mindsets of the politicians today, we decided to retake the test but answer as extreme and radical as possible. I ached as some of the decision I made were completely off my virtues. For the economical and nationalistic questions, I made sure that I agreed with everything that prioritizes the nation and profit. In addition, the religious and moral beliefs were pretty extreme as well. In the end, I ended up being near the political stance of Donald Trump. When discussing the results with Mr. Paterson, I was able to acknowledge the gap between demands of the people and the politicians. I couldn't fathom what the political compass of Japaense parties would be. I bet they wouldn't be as spaced out compared to other countries, because even I can't find distinguishable characteristics of the communist party from first impressions. A bit off topic, but browsing through the political compass website, I found a political compass of famous musicians and composers (see picture below). As a violinist myself, it was intriguing to picture my favorite composers having political views. Intrestingly, when I looked at this plot, I found that the majority of composers I played were in the left and liberal positions. Isn't it coincidential, that I end up playing composers with similar political views as mine. Anyways, that might have been just luck, but I wondered if other musicians correlate with me.  


My political compass


Composers' political extravaganza


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5.7.2019

3.3.2022 - Thank you for the 3 years!!!! (2019~2022)

9.3.2020