2.10.2022
Due to the snow forecast, our class became online, but we still continued and discussed our group project. Before that though, Mr. Paterson lectured us about how powerful connections in regional scales can also leave a huge impact on the world. Top of the Pops is a show which invited artists of the top 40 songs to perform live (well, lip-synced to be specific). He mentioned how the majority of the audience was young teens. When I looked Franz Ferdinand up, this fact was evident. Little did I know that some of these teens were sexually abused by the host of this show, Jimmy Savile. After his death, many came out and claimed that Savile had abused and raped them. However, no allegations had come out about this incident, and I was curious as to why. Then I learned that Savile had numerous connections with the royal family the prime minister and other high officials. Knowing that I would have been reluctant to start an investigation despite his cruel actions. Even if I do file a report, Savile would have probably used his status to pressure or bury the evidence. I was disgusted at such allegations were never probed into and no initiative was taken by the police.
This is because it wasn't only Savile who had gotten away with this. As I mentioned before, power and connections are key to succeeding in establishing a facade. A good example by Mr. Paterson was about a report on pedophilia by several members of the British government disappearing at the hands of a senior government official. In Britain, this case has been a center-issue and the country has tried to appoint people to handle the case, but to no avail. Every case leader in the past has resigned, but this fact didn't surprise me. Obviously with a controversial and scandalous case like this comes constant pressure from upper groups to contort, lie, and disfigure information so that it doesn't reveal its cruelty and protect the official's reputations. Mr. Paterson commented about this, and how these managers had probably retired due to its unbearable costs. If I had been appointed, I would try my best to fix this once and for all, but if I am faced with severe threats, I would probably quit. In this way, the handling of sensitive cases which revolve around the reputations of well-known individuals can be seen as unfair and is fully supportive of the perpetrators. It doesn't make sense that the victims would need to reclaim their justice for an experience that they didn't even ask for.
With these questions dawning, I moved on to brainstorming website ideas with our group. We went through our past blogs and tried to categorize the past lessons. I was surprised at the amount of learning we covered during 4th year. Anyways when face to face classes start again, I am excited to work with my team in finishing our final project.
Comments
Post a Comment