2.9.2022

 3 instructions. One pen, and an endless possibility of answers. We were tasked today to draw 9 circles in a square pattern and try to connect them using continuous straight lines. When I first heard about this, I remember discovering a similar one way back in 4th grade. It was a challenge to connect them all in 4 straight lines. But when Mr. Paterson told me that the version I wrote was the easiest one, that's when my creativity started kicking in. However, I couldn't think of any other ideas. When I saw the different patterns I was astounded at how I couldn't think of them. I was so focused on the original answer that my brain wasn't capable of figuring out different ones. However, when it came to connecting all circles in one line, I had a much better streak of answers. In fact, I had thought of at least 3 different ways to complete it with 1 try. It all came down to how you define the instructions. For lines five, four, and 3, Mr. Paterson showcased ways to interpret what it means by drawing 9 circles in a square shape. Nowhere in the text did it specify the size of the circles, the distances between all circles, and how you arrange these circles in square shape. Moreover, it didn't contain information on what medium the circles were drawn on, plus the type of pen to draw those circles. As such, there were plenty of different solutions, innovative ones that were memorable was drawing around the paper so that all the circles are filled with one consecutive line. 

From this exercise, I was able to realize both my lack of creativity as well as its potential. As I said before, my knowledge of this activity was limited from the fourth grade. So, during the first half, I was struggling with coming up with new ideas. However, as I progressed and learned how to read through the lines, I became better at bending the rules and thus figuring out solutions to the circle problem. During my months at a Japanese public school, I felt the pressure of having to follow the school's curriculum. For example, there was a time I had to go outside and say my salutations to younger students. This was a necessity for every student in 6th grade, but there wasn't anything that I learned more or else nothing to exercise my creativity on. During lessons, I was entitled to copy the blackboard, finish my chores, like a set time routine. Even during art class, the end goal was always chosen by the school, so my options were limited. Compare that to this school and in my previous international schools, I felt my opportunities to utilize my creativity were much more common. In design class, I was able to construct my original animal home from scratch, and in English class, I got to create and present my own picture book on Greek mythology. I hope schools improve in a way that respects individual expressions. I feel that schools tend to nurture those who are well in their studies, but not so towards those who are talented in different fields. As such, meeting each need, and providing their education around their strengths will be beneficial in strengthening their ability to think and innovate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5.7.2019

3.3.2022 - Thank you for the 3 years!!!! (2019~2022)

9.3.2020